Friday, November 4, 2011

November


This month, we welcome Hannah Barefoot and Warren Craghead to the Shuckster space!

Hannah Barefoot
Craft(ing) objects are important to me. I work with handmade paper, etchings, woodcut and recently welding. Attention to a work's creation becomes part of the work. I believe objects must be carefully and lovingly formed. I’m trying to create objects that are emblematic of my hope for a future communal existence, one where we are attentive and self-aware.

The pragmatism of craft extends into my life in the form of a gardening - I garden with others because people respond positively to watching their own work grow and tending to something that is both sustaining and alive. Both crafting and gardening reach towards a utopian existence. The work I do in the garden is integral to the work I do in studio - both extend into the future. I hope for a world where people know what they take and give.

The etching is of a beast that I envision as a harbinger of utopian/future existence where gardening and concern for other folks and self is so intuitive no one even talks about it anymore.

Warren Craghead
While watching the live feed from Egypt's Tahrir Square last spring, I was so taken by how brave and crazy the people were that I started drawing just to do something.  Those drawings led to more images of Tunisia and Libya and the recent Occupy movement. One reason I draw things is to react to what is happening in the world around me—my kids being nuts, things I see while driving around, a car race, a trip. In this case, the events were exciting and complicated revolutionary movements that, I hope, will turn out well. Almost all these images I've only seen though a TV or computer screen. Drawing them is one way to make them more real and immediate. I'm not pretending to know all or even much of what is going on in these complex situations, but I think, maybe naively, that by drawing them I can make some tiny connection.

My work explores the absurd idea of how to be everywhere. It insists that art can be accessible, cryptic, and beautiful all at the same time. My drawings, collages, paintings, book and mail art are inspired by my experiences in the ordinary world. They contain spontaneous "without thinking" narratives that process and encode everyday life and the written word into discrete, pictographic, nonlinear stories that can be encountered everywhere: a sticker on a pole, a booklet in a newspaper, a postcard in the mail, an image on a website, a collage in a gallery.

Warren Craghead III lives in Charlottesville, VA, with his wife and two daughters. He likes to make pictures, and has exhibited his work internationally. He has also published many works, including the Xeric Grant winning Speedy and several collaborations with poets and writers, one of which was nominated for a Pushcart Prize in 2006. He received an MFA in 1996 from the University of Texas at Austin, a BFA from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia in 1993, and attended the Skowhegan School in 1993.
***

More pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment